Poznan – Backpacking Guide
Poznan is the old capital of Poland, it is a picturesque town located only a few hours away from Berlin, Germany. In recent Year’s RyanAir has started flying to Poznan from various airports around Europe, this has created a new flow of tourist to Poznan.
Poznan is cheap compared to most Western European countries.
How to get around
There are 3 easy ways to get around the city.
- The cheapest way to get around the city is to use the Light Rail and Buses. a ticket for 10 minutes on the Light Rail cost around 3-4 ZLY, but a ticket for 24 hours can be bought for around 14 ZLY. There are also tickets for 2-4 days. Tickets can be bought at various train stations (not all), tickets can also sometimes be bought on the trains themselves, but not always, getting caught without a ticket means a fine of 15-200 ZLY on the spot.
- The most convenient way to get around the city and also a cheap option is to use Uber, for those who dont know what uber is, Uber is an application for android and Iphone in which you can order a car to come pick you up and take you to your destination (privately owned, not a taxi). Prices are very reasonable in Poznan, an Uber from the Airport to the City Center will cost around 12-30 ZLY. If you do not have Uber you can sign up here and get around 20 ZLY credit for free (depends on your country).
- Taxi’s are widespread around the city, the prices can range largely and tend to be quite higher than Uber prices.
Where to Eat
Food in Poznan is very good, and very reasonably priced. There is also a wide variety of food in the city, from Asian restaurants to Polish Perogies they have it all.
Heres some of our favorites:
- Zindo Sushi – The sushi here is really really good. Every day there is an all-you-can-eat sushi deal where you can get unlimited sushi from 12:00 – 17:00 for 60-70 ZLY. This also includes tons of other dishes, soups etc. TIP: order the nigiri bomb sushi (should be included in the all-you-can-eat)
- Na Winklu – Local polish restaurant, serves amazing perogies. Large portions (about 10-20 ZLY per person for a meal).
- Fat Bobs Burgers – Amazing Hamburgers for around 17-22 ZLY (200gr.)
- Whisky in the Jar – American food very good but not very cheap (50-150ZLY per person)
What To do
- In Poznan there are many Museums, some of the notable ones: are the National Museum, which houses a lot of polish art as well as other European art (entrance is 12 ZLY or 2 ZLY for students, on Saturday it is free). Fort VII which was a death camp in world war two (entrance is 4-9 ZLY ).
- Escape rooms, in the city there are many escape room – a game where you need to use creativity to escape. FearEscape is one of the popular escape rooms with options in English and Polish (100 ZLY for 4 people).
- The old town square is a much do, the square is beautiful and definitely worth a stroll.
Most the night life in Poznan is situated around the old town square, there are several streets that connect to and from the town square filled with Bars and Clubs.
Many bars have beer for around 4 ZLY for a pint, and cocktails ranging from 15-25 ZLY.
Its important to note that on the weekend many of the bars/clubs are packed and its very hard to get in to the really stuffy places.
Leave a Reply